Thursday, September 29, 2011

Internships!

  1. NBC Universal (2 internships)

My first internship that looks very promising as well as sounding really interesting is here. Although I chose to look for internship with Bravo specifically, I think it gave me an overarching internship program, which isn't bad at all.


I fit all the requirements, the only things that would be stopping me from doing this internship this spring is that it is in California.



Editing Internships:
  • Experience editing using Final Cut Pro or Avid is strongly preferred

    Photography Internships:

  • Experience using Photoshop to retouch photos is strongly preferred

    Graphic Design Internships:

  • Previous work or internship experience in graphic design strongly preferred.


  • I'm a little weak with design, so I would probably brush up on my skills a little before I applied there.


    Another one I found through a different route is here(I took a picture because the link doesn't appear to work):



    Preferred Qualifications 
  • Previous work experience in an office environment

  • Previous internship experience



  • It's in New York, which is more feasible for me than California. I'm especially interested in Jerry Springer and Oxygen, and it is funny how they are controlled by the same people.


    A. I'm interested in applying to NBC because of it's myriad of programming, I am not opposed at all to doing Reality TV or a sitcom, and I believe that Bravo's reality TV is unlike many others. Although they don't do Project Runway anymore, I think their success with it is mostly due to their filming style as well as their ability to create a great amount of drama and suspense. They are also a very gay-friendly network and I feel like I would be very comfortable in that environment and would be nurtured and mentored more readily.


    B. I think in my personal life there are many things that would be useful for Bravo- I am resourceful and interested in conflict and action- the thing that makes their ratings boom. I watch bravo, and I get captured in their shows even if it's Real Housewives, which I don't carefor, but their way of telling a story that grabs you when you are switching the channels is like magic and I think I can help make that experience even more enriching because I can understand conflict and can be resourceful in finding the story and the elements of the story and piece them together.




    2. Blue Sky


    Blue Sky has 3 internship types and all of them seem beneficial for film:


    PRODUCTION ASSISTANT INTERN
    VISUAL DEVELOPMENT INTERN
    STORY INTERN



    Responsibilities :
    Internship responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
    Production database updates
    Spreadsheet generation
    Set-up of visual components for various meetings
    Scanning various forms of artwork
    Taking notes during meetings and director rounds





    I am really interested in being a production assistant.


    These responsibilities look somewhat odd- I wonder if I ever get around a camera at some point? Even if I don't it will be helpful to look at the inner-workings of such a great company. They do not have where the internship is located unfortunately.


    A. I am interested in blue sky because they aren't as big as Pixar and I would suspect not as intimidating/competetive to get an intership- while at the same time they have some good titles under their belt that is nothing to scoff at. Rio especially, was very satisfying and had a great and unique plot. I also like that working your way up from animation to developing your own story and content is encouraged within the company and this is in fact how Rio was made.


    B. In my life I think I have a lot of stories to share, and unlike a lot of animators I have been developing a very cinematic eye that can plan out shots effectively. I think that's what was most interesting in seeing Rio because it had a lot of cinematic shots and showed lots of beautiful terrain in Brazil. I relate to the main character very well because he seems to belong in the jungle but he's very used to interiors and human life. That is sort of my racial experience- because I speak well black people are always curious to where I come from(especially in the south).






    3.Turner


    Cartoon Network Production Intern


    This looks very promising as well as a little different than most of the internships I've looked at


    Description: Students will have the opportunity to learn and observe a number of functions within the production department. They will be exposed to all aspects of a traditionally animated series. Student will assist PA, PC and Line Producer with all areas of pre-production; learn about design, storyboards, digital clean-up and color. Various general office duties may also be assigned. Students will have the opportunity to do their own storyboard pitch. 



    Required Qualifications/Skills: In order to facilitate the learning experience, the following qualifications are preferred: Should be able to commit to 12 weeks of the internship and be able to work 15-20 hours per week. Majoring in Animation or related field (Illustration, Fine Art, etc.). Course credit is optional. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers.


    Especially the bolded parts! They make me very excited. I didn't know Cartoon Network had such great attributes and ideas. It is in Burbank- but I imagine doing this over the summer and getting the grants in order to live there? They do pay minimum wage though- which is boss! There doesn't appear to be a maximum amount of hours you can do per week as well!


    A. Cartoon Network has a long history of great programs so it's hard to pick just one. I think what they are doing now- (adventure time, regular show) is really awesome. There aren't any better words for it than awesome, because they are funny and entertaining, and tell a different story and have a different story structure than previous cartoons. Also, knowing they use Toonboom is great because if I wow them with my final or my demo reel it will be a seemless transition. 


    B. I grew up with Cartoon Network- everyone has. It is inspiring now to see them adapt to the different generation of kids and those same programs still be entertaining as an adult. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment